- Cutting Board Sizes Explained: All You Need to Know! - October 27, 2021
- Best Sink Cover Cutting Boards - October 23, 2021
A cutting board is a must-have item in your kitchen. It’s an essential part of meal prep as you need to slice and dice ingredients for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. However, there are so many cutting boards available these days. Just on Amazon, there are over 3,000 (and counting) of these boards. That shows just how challenging the buying decision is.
Plus, there are so many shapes and sizes. How do you know what is the right size for you, your kitchen, and what you want to cut and chop?
I’m guessing that’s why you’re here. And you are in the right place. Today, we’re diving into cutting board sizes and explaining everything you need to know so you can make the best decision in terms of which cutting board is ideal for your kitchen.
I’ve also included a few popular choices with each cutting board size to help you. Let’s get started.
What Are the Different Cutting Board Sizes?
The most common and standard cutting board sizes are:
- Round: 10” x 10”
- Small: 8” x 10”
- Medium: 10” x 14”
- Large: 18” x 24”
- Extra-large: 20” x 30”
Different Cutting Board Sizes and Their Uses
Let’s take an in-depth look at cutting board sizes and what you use the various boards for. I’ve included the best cutting boards in each category further in the article.
Round Cutting Board
Best for: when you need to rotate a cutting board to make cutting easier
Use for: meat and cheese platters as a cutting board and serving board/tray
A traditional option, a round cutting board is a classy addition to your kitchen. These boards are commonly used to serve a cheese platter or meat platter. However, you can also use yours to cut the cheeses and meats for your platters, and then use it as a serving board or tray.
Popular sizes for round cutting boards are (their diameter):
Small Cutting Board
Best for: easy storage, little meal prep, 1-2 people family
Use for: mincing herbs, chopping onions or a small salad, fruit for snacks or cocktails
Opt for a small cutting board if you want something that is compact and easy to store. This is ideal for your RV or a small kitchen.
Also, a small cutting board is best if you don’t have a lot of meal prep work, like if you are only cooking for one or two people.
While a 8” x 10” small cutting board is standard, you also get smaller cutting boards:
- 4” x 6”
- 5” x 7”
- 6” x 9”
Medium Cutting Board (Standard Size)
Best for: cutting several items simultaneously
Use for: cutting up a green or fruit salad, carving a small to medium-size roast
The most popular size in cutting boards is medium. They are ideal for your countertop and they are easy to store.
It’s recommended to own at least two of these. Use one for your fruits, veggies, and herbs and a second cutting board for your meats.
The most popular medium cutting board measures 10” x 14”; however, there are other sizes in this category too:
- 12” x 18”
- 15” x 20”
Large Cutting Board
Best for: if you want a cutting board that serves as a serving board or tray
Use for: cutting multiple items at once, serving a meat, cheese dip, or veggie platter
Large cutting boards are generally longer and narrower, so you need more kitchen countertop space for these. These boards are very sturdy so you can cut harder produce like coconuts or larger meat cuts with ease.
Once you’ve done your meal prep and the board is clean, use it as a serving tray. These large cutting boards are great to hold several small dishes for dips and arrange your veggies and meats around these dishes to up the visual appeal.
The most popular size in large cutting boards is 18” x 24”. Other options include:
- 7” x 23”
- 18” x 18”
Extra Large Cutting Board
Best for: commercial kitchens or meal prepping for a large family or party
Use for: prepping ingredients for a party or multiple meals
Most commonly found in commercial kitchens, an extra-large cutting board can have a place in your home too if you do a lot of meal prep or regularly entertain your friends and family. The biggest consideration with an XL cutting board is whether or not you have sufficient counter space.
The most popular sizes that extra-large cutting boards come in are:
- 18” x 30”
- 20” x 30”
Novelty Cutting Board
Best for: a fun addition to your kitchen
Use for: cutting single items of produce or as a serving board/tray
There are also novelty cutting boards that are in various shapes and have no fixed size. These boards are not the easiest to use for cutting, slicing, and dicing purposes. They are more commonly used as a decorative item or a serving board or tray.
Imagine how pretty your cheese platter would look on a cutting board shaped like an elephant, a camper van, a ninja, a heart, or your state?
How to Pick the Best Cutting Board Size for You?
There are a few questions you need to ask yourself when buying a cutting board to determine what the right size is for you and your family.
- What will you be using the cutting board for?
- Are you meal prepping for yourself, a small family, or a large family (and visiting friends and family)?
- What knives will you be using on the cutting board? What are the sizes of these knives?
- Is there a particular shape of cutting board you prefer? Square? Rectangular? Oval? Round? Novelty?
- Do you have the counter space for the size board you have in mind?
- Can you easily store your cutting board?
The Importance of Choosing the Right Cutting Board Size
Choosing a cutting board that is too small is just plain awkward. Plus, it can be really unsafe and chaotic too.
You may think you only want to cut a tomato, but then you change your mind. You take out the cucumber, lettuce, and all the other ingredients for your Mexican Tuna Salad, and soon your cutting board is overcrowded.
And in maneuvering through all these ingredients, you manage to slice your nail off. Not a pretty picture, but it happens. But with the right size cutting board for your needs, you can eliminate a finger cutting accident as a result of a chaotic and too-small board.
Thus, a board that is bigger or big enough for what you need it for is vital. Consider that you need to:
- Be able to move your knife around safely on the board
- Hold the ingredient well as you cut, slice, and dice
- Have enough space to pile up what you are cutting and have space for the bits and pieces that go into the trash.
So what is the best size cutting board for you?
The rule of thumb is that you should be able to lay your knife diagonally across the cutting board and there should be a space of 1 inch between both ends of the knife and the edge of the cutting board.
So think of the knife you use the most, measure it, add 2 inches (1 inch for each end of the knife) and buy your cutting board accordingly. If you use a large knife fairly often, then go with that size.
Alternatively, buy a set with 3-4 cutting boards and then you are sorted.
The Best Cutting Boards According to Size
If you know what size cutting board you need, you can jump right to the size of the cutting board and the best product.
If you feel like you need more than one size cutting board for your house, I tried to make your life easy by including the best 3 cutting board sets. In these sets, you get a variety of cutting board sizes to fulfill all of your kitchen needs.
The Svenee Mini Kitchen Cutting Board Mats measure 9.4” x 5.12” x 0.3” (L x W x H) and you get two small durable and thick cutting board mats for the price of one. The cutting surface is green and two of the side edges are black.
- Built-in juice grooves
- Can use both sides of the boards
- Easy-grip handles
- Some customers thought these boards would be bigger, but you get two in the set
In white and an ocean-like turquoise, white and olive green, or white and orange, the Farberware Paring Knife and Cutting Board Set is ideal if you are looking for a small cutting board. The board measures 10” x 8” x 1.18” (L x W x H) and the accompanying 3.5-inch paring knife comes with a sheath to protect the blade when the knife is not being used.
- Get a cutting board and a paring knife with a sheath
- Non-slip trim
- Can use both sides of the cutting board
- Available in 3 color options
- The board is dishwasher safe
- Lifetime limited warranty
- Knife needs to be hand washed
Medium: Medium-Large Wood Cutting Board
The Medium-Large Wood Cutting Board by Greener Chef Store measures 14.5” x 11.5” x 0.7” (L x W x H). The medium rectangular cutting board is made from organic bamboo so it’s durable.
- Made from bamboo
- Has 2-sided deep juice grooves
- Lifetime replacement guarantee
- Kind to your knives (blades stay sharper for longer)
- Needs to be regularly treated with food-grade mineral oil; however, this increases the lifespan of your cutting board
- Not dishwasher friendly
The white rectangular Farberware Plastic Cutting Board measures 14” x 11” x 0.5” (L x W x H) and is made from polypropylene plastic, which is non-porous and does not harbor harmful bacteria, stains, or odors.
- Reversible; use both sides of the cutting board
- Has a handle hole for more grip and stability and control while cutting
- Dishwasher safe
- Not ideal if you use a meat cleaver
- Board may move around as you chop and dice; an easy solution is to place a wet paper towel underneath the board to hold it steady
The Bamboo Cutting Board for Kitchen by the Royal Craft Wood Store is a large cutting board, measuring 24” x 18” x 1.38” (L x W x H). It is made from bamboo, so it is durable, as well as water and odor-resistant.
- Made from bamboo; it’s solid and sturdy
- Double-sided design – use as a cutting board and serving tray
- Features a juice groove
- Has built-in handles so you can carry the board with ease
- Looks stylish
- 1-year warranty
- Need to regularly treat the wooden cutting board with mineral oil to prevent the wood panels from splitting
Large: Winco Cutting Board
In all white, the Winco Cutting Board measures 24” x 18” x 0.5” (L x W x H). It is made from polyethylene plastic. The surface is non-porous, so you don’t need to worry about it absorbing juices from your meat or fresh produce and stains.
- Dishwasher safe
- Only available in one color option
- No juice grooves
- May move around as you cut your produce; place a wet paper towel underneath to keep it in position
X-Large: Massive Bamboo Cutting Board
The Massive Bamboo Cutting Board by Greener Chef Store measures 30” x 20” x 0.75” (L x W x H), and it is large. The manufacturer recommends that you know how large this cutting board actually is before ordering it. It weighs 11 pounds, so that should tell you something.
- Made from bamboo and built to last
- Solid and steady so you can cut and carve with ease
- Hass drip grooves to prevent messes and spills
- Fits on most gas stove ranges and electric stovetops to increase your counter space
- Has side handle grooves so you can easily pick up and hold the board
- 1-year warranty
- Not easy to hand wash this big cutting board in a normal sink
- It is heavy (and may be too big)
The Extra Large Bamboo Cutting Board for Kitchen by GREENOLIVE Store is made from organic bamboo. It measures 27.5” x 17.5” x 0.7” (L x W x H). The board features a handle, so you can hold it while you cut, lift to tilt and pour off extra juices, or use it to carry the board around.
- Made from 100% organic bamboo
- Versatile; can be used as a cutting board, charcuterie board, butcher block, cheese board, pizza cutting board, or serving tray
- Elegant look
- Lightweight and sturdy
- No juice grooves
- May not be easy to store unless you have adequate space
A 100% bamboo round cutting board, the RoyalHouse Round Bamboo Cutting Board for Kitchen measures 12” in diameter and it is 0.75” thick.
- Versatile; cutting board and a serving tray for cheese or meat platters
- Made from bamboo, so it’s durable
- Stylish design
- Some reviewers complained that the board isn’t 100% smooth
The Checkered Chef Mezzaluna Chopper With Cutting Board Set measures 10” in diameter if you use the smooth cutting board surface. The other side on which you can use the chopper or mezzaluna for mincing herbs has a workable area of 7” in diameter. The cutting board is made from sustainable rubber wood; simply wipe it clean after use.
- Versatile board; use one side as cutting board and the other, concave side for mincing herbs, veggies, or nuts with the mezzaluna, and use it as a serving tray
- 6” Mezzaluna is sharp and easy to store with the included sheath
- Some reviewers said using the rocking motion of the mezzaluna to chop herbs and veggies can be difficult
The Gorilla Grip Oversized Cutting Board, 3 Piece comes in 31 color options, from a white board with blue or black handles and edges to gray boards with turquoise, pink, purple, orange, and more colored handles and edges. So you can most definitely find a good fit to go with your kitchen decor.
You get 3 different size cutting boards in this set. The biggest cutting board measures 16” x 11.2” while the medium cutting board is 13.8” x 9.6”. The smallest cutting board in the set measures 11.8” x 8”. All of the cutting boards are one-third of an inch thick.
- Set of 3 cutting boards
- Slip-resistant border, so you can cut and dice without worrying the board with slip from under your knife
- Has a juice groove
- Reversible, so you can use both sides of the cutting board
- Dishwasher safe
- 31 color options to choose from
- Some customers said the handle on the smallest board is too small for their hands
- Reviewers also wish the boards were a bit thicker
Available in 5 color options, the HOMWE Kitchen Cutting Board (3-Piece Set) – Juice Grooves with Easy-Grip Handles, Non-Porous, Dishwasher Safe – Multiple Sizes (Gray) has a white cutting surface and then the handles and edges come in gray, aqua, black, navy blue, and red.
In a set of 3, the smallest cutting board measures 10” x 5.8”, the medium is 12.5” x 7.8”, and the largest is 15.8” x 9.5”. Made from non-porous, BPA-free, and heavy-duty plastic, these cutting boards are durable and easy to clean.
- Set of 3 cutting boards
- Non-slip design
- Available in 5 colors
- Dishwasher safe
- Built-in juice groove
- Handle to help you hold the board or carry it around
- The white cutting surface can stain depending on what you cut and dice on the board; eliminate chances of the board staining by washing immediately after cutting your fruit and veggies
Yes, you read this right. You even get a cutting board shaped like a pig! There’s even cow, chicken, and US-shaped cutting boards in the J.K. Adams Store on Amazon (and many more!).
The J.K. Adams Maple Wood Cutting Board, Pig-Shaped measures 14” x 8.25” x 0.63” (L x W x H). It is made from a North American hardwood – maple in this case, and the board is coated with an artisan teak oil.
- Ideal to use as a serving board; due to the pig shape, you can cut cheese or other produce too
- Whimsical design and addition to your dinner party
- Made from maple so it’s durable
- Not dishwasher safe
- Needs to be regularly treated to increase the longevity of the board
- Reviewers wish the board was thicker for a more substantial feel
How I Chose the Best Cutting Boards in Each Size Category
In case you are curious, I took care to only choose the best of the best cutting boards for each size category. Some aspects I looked at include:
I considered the price so that the boards are affordable and fit a range of budgets. If a more expensive cutting board was chosen, I felt the price justified the value of the product.
- Customer Reviews
All of the products chosen have 4+ star ratings (out of a maximum of 5) and lots of positive reviews. If other customers are happy with their purchase, then it is likely that you will be too.
- Cutting Board Size
I made extra sure to only include products that fit in the size category specified. The reason I did it like this is so that if you know you need a medium-sized cutting board, then you only need to look at that category. However, if you aren’t sure, then you can look at all the products and information to make a decision.
For quality, I looked at what the board is made of, ensuring to only choose cutting boards that are durable, easy to wash, and versatile.
Answer: For the easiest way to know if your cutting board size is right, lay your knife diagonally across the board. Check to see that there is a minimum of 1 inch of cutting board space from the tip of the knife to the edge of the cutting, and there should be the same amount of space between the end of the knife’s handle to the board edge.
Answer: A medium-size cutting board is quite popular as you can cut and slice more than just one fruit and vegetable at a time.
Answer: According to the experts, the best size for a wooden cutting board is 12 inches by 18 inches. This is a medium-sized cutting board, which is a popular choice.
Answer: The best thickness for a cutting board is between 1 ¼ of an inch to 2 inches. A thicker board is more stable as you cut, chop, slice, and dice. These boards are also less prone to warp over time and you can refinish thicker cutting boards more times after lots of use.
Answer: The best cutting boards are made from solid hardwood. While these need to be regularly treated with a food-grade mineral oil to increase the board’s lifespan, these look elegant in any kitchen and they are kind on your knife blades, so you don’t need to sharpen the blades as often as you would if you were to use another kind of cutting board.
Plastic cutting boards are good quality too, and the biggest advantage with these is that you can place most of these boards in the dishwasher, making cleaning easy. However, plastic, like glass, does dull your knife blades. If a plastic board has too many scratches on its surface, it is best to replace it as you can’t completely clean these boards of the bacteria that gets trapped in the surface imperfections.
Answer: You can definitely use both sides of the cutting board. Use the side with the juice grooves for veggies, fruits, and raw meat so the liquid can be caught in the grooves. Use the other side as a serving board. However, you can also cut and slice on both sides of the cutting board to evenly work both surfaces.
Answer: It is ideal to have 2 cutting boards in your kitchen. Keep one for produce – fruits and veggies – and the other one for raw meat.
Answer: Replace your plastic cutting board when there are a lot of scratches and grooves on the cutting surface as these trap bacteria, and the board can’t be 100% sanitized. Replace the plastic cutting board within a year if it is heavily used or every 5 years if not used that often.
Wooden cutting boards are more long-lasting. It’s recommended to replace these every 4 to 7 years; however, you can refinish these a few times before it needs to be completely replaced. The thicker the board, the more times you can resurface it.
Answer: How you clean a cutting board depends on the material it is made from. Most glass and plastic cutting boards are dishwashing safe, but it is best to check the manufacturer’s guidelines. If you aren’t sure, then you can wash these boards by hand in your sink with a washing sponge and dishwashing liquid. Then rinse it, wipe dry, and let it air dry further.
Wooden cutting boards are a little trickier when it comes to washing. Since they are made from wood, these cutting boards can’t be fully submerged in water. Wash a wooden cutting board by hand with a cloth and mild dishwashing liquid. Quickly dunk the board to rinse it and wipe off excess water with a dry tea towel. Let it air dry for a few days in a dry environment before you store it.
The Final Cut
The cutting board size you buy depends on a range of factors:
- How many fruits and veggies do you want to cut at once?
- How much meal prep do you do (and how often)?
- How much storage space do you have?
- What’s the biggest knife you’ll be using to cut your produce?
- Do you have ample kitchen counter space for your cutting board?
Answering these questions helps you decide which is the best cutting board size for you.
To recap, in the various sizes, these are the best cutting boards:
- Small: The Svenee Mini Kitchen Cutting Board Mats comes in a set of 2 small cutting boards. Use both sides of each board and place them in the dishwasher once you’ve sliced your veggies and fruits.
- Medium: The Medium-Large Wood Cutting Board is rectangular and made from organic bamboo. It has juice grooves and it is kind to the blades of your knives.
- Large: The stylish Bamboo Cutting Board for Kitchen is also made from bamboo and you can use this as a cutting board and serving tray.
- Extra-large: The Massive Bamboo Cutting Board is also made from bamboo and it is large. It is solid with juice grooves, so ideal if you meal prep for a large family or party.
- Round: The best round cutting board is the Checkered Chef Mezzaluna Chopper With Cutting Board Set. The cutting board side is 10” in diameter and made from sustainable rubberwood. The other side is ideal for mincing herbs and chopping nuts with the mezzaluna, which is included.
- Sets: The Gorilla Grip Oversized Cutting Board in a 3-piece set comes in 31 colors options and you get a small, medium, and large cutting board. It is ideal if you are not completely sure what cutting board size is best for you or if you need more than one size.
- Novelty: The pig-shaped J.K. Adams Maple Wood Cutting Board is small, but it is a great farmhouse style and fun addition. It’s best to use this cutting board as a serving board or tray.
What size cutting board is the best for you and your family?
Looking for more interesting readings? Check out: